This Raw Vegan Winter Mug reminds me of the first the winter that we spent in Norway. It was the year we finally had the courage to make a positive change towards our health … and it all started with simple desserts like this one (and training with dumbbells at home, walks in nature, a more family time, but that’s another story).
For me, this simple mug recipe is about actually making a dessert yourself instead of buying something from the store. It’s all about getting used to and appreciating simple ingredients, combining them into a dessert of some kind (hopefully delicious!) or using your creativity to adapt a recipe based on your own preference.
It’s those small steps that will get you to your destination and this recipe can be one of those small steps. This is especially true if you’re a beginner when it comes to preparing healthy simple desserts at home.
How to make this raw vegan winter mug
This Raw Vegan Winter Mug is so easy to make and only requires a few basic ingredients:
- Coconut Cream (or Coconut Milk)
- Cacao Powder
- Dried Figs
- Vanilla (optional)
- Shredded Coconut (or Coconut Chips)
- Hemp Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
This simple dessert was inspired by my Simple Keto Whipped Cream Dessert but this time I decided to replace the whipped cream with a vegan coconut and chocolate mousse (with cacao and dried figs). Trust me, it’s even better now!
This dessert is perfectly sweet, creamy and chewy, and it’s broken down into 3 layers:
- The bottom layer is made of frozen blueberries
- The middle layer is made of an easy to make (and delicious) coconut-chocolate mousse sweetened with dried figs
- The top layer is made of raw nuts and seeds (shredded coconut, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, one hazelnut)
And the best part is … you won’t need any of those big kitchen tools or any kind of cooking experience. Just be yourself, follow the recipe and have fun!
How to make coconut cream
If you don’t have coconut cream at hand, you can easily prepare your own from a can of coconut milk. Just follow the steps below:
- For best results use full-fat coconut milk but keep in mind that some brands will not work (you’ll have to experiment and see which brand works for you).
- Place a can (400 ml) of coconut milk into the fridge overnight.
- Don’t shake the can before opening. The coconut milk will separate into coconut cream and water.
- Transfer the coconut cream to a bowl and throw away the water.
- The extracted cream will be used for the mousse in our recipe.
I hope you’ll enjoy making and serving this dessert as much as we did … But you won’t know until you try!
What’s your favorite, simple and healthy recipe? Would you try this one? Share in the comments.
3-Layer Raw Vegan Winter Mug
- frozen blueberries (as much as needed)
- 1 can coconut cream (or coconut milk, 400 ml, full-fat)
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder
- 2 dried figs (cut in small pieces)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (optional)
- shredded coconut (fresh, or coconut chips)
- hemp seeds (as needed)
- sunflower seeds (as needed)
- decorate with one hazelnut (on top)
- For the bottom layer you’ll be using only frozen blueberries. Make sure to remove any excess water (if any) from the berries.
- For the middle layer, you’ll have to prep the coconut-chocolate mousse yourself by following the steps below.
- In a medium sized bowl add coconut cream. If you want to learn how to make coconut cream from coconut milk, see the dedicated section from the article.
- Use a whisk (or even a fork) to whip the cream for 60-90 seconds until the cream expands (similar to how heavy cream expends when whipped). You can also use an electric mixer which will make the cream really smooth.
- Next, add cacao powder and incorporate it into the cream.
- You should end-up with a thick chocolate mousse that has a dark-brown color.
- Now it’s time to add the natural sweetener - for this recipe will be using dried figs cut in very small slices. Use a spatula to incorporate them into the mousse.
- Last, optionally add vanilla powder, mixing for 5-10 seconds in order to incorporate it.
- Your chocolate-coconut mousse is now ready! You can use it as is now or you can place it in the fridge to cool down and to let the flavors combine (30-60 minutes is ok).
- The top layer consists of raw ingredients: shredded coconut (alternatively use coconut chips), hemp seeds and sunflower seeds, plus one hazelnut for each serving. Easy enough, right?!
How to put it together
- For the bottom layer, fill 1/3 of a tall jar with frozen blueberries.
- For the middle layer, fill 1/3 of the jar with the coconut-chocolate mousse. Feel free to use as much as you need.
- Finish by adding all the ingredients for the top layer, as shown in my photo.
- That was it! You can enjoy it fresh or store it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.