This spicy smoothie with almond milk features plant-based healthy fats, fresh veggies and only a few fruits. This combo adds vitamins, minerals, enzymes, healthy fiber and phytonutrients to your smoothie, but also keeps the sugar level in the healthy range.
Meet our new delicious favorite breakfast smoothie, The Almond Milk Spicy Smoothie!
Almond milk spicy smoothie love
This spicy smoothie made with almond milk was pure nourishment for body and soul, and we loved it very much. It was also:
Too much fruit is not healthy
Smoothies are great for health and bring so many health benefits to us but the problem is that most smoothies are prepared using too many fruits and only a few veggies, if any.
Contrary to what most people think, the fructose found in all these fruits is not great for health, unless used for recovery. Simply put, increased sugar levels (or fructose in the case of smoothies) will lead to blood sugar spikes that are simply hard to manage by your system, especially if this becomes a habit.
In the long run, excess fructose can lead to obesity, inflammation, gut health problems, weight gain, even stress related issues, depression, liver damage, metabolic syndrome, cognitive disease and so on. Bottom line, too much sugar circulating in the blood is not healthy for anyone and smoothies shouldn’t be used as an excuse to drink “sugar bombs”.
The structure of a healthy smoothie
Are you looking for a simple formula to make a low-carb smoothie packed with healthy nutrients? Want to get your dose of vitamins, minerals and fiber without the excess sugar? Consider using these simple rules and you’ll easily be making healthier smoothies and healthier choices:
- Healthy Fats – Make a habit of adding as many healthy fats as possible – avocado, coconut oil, nut milks are great examples.
- Minimum Fructose – Always keep sugar/fructose level to a minimum, using max 2-3 fruits overall. Good news is that you can use as many berries as you like, they don’t come with that much sugar.
- Protein* – Keep protein at a decent level, based on your activity level. Too much will basically stress your liver and kidneys so keep this in mind.
- Love Veggies – The real trick is to make sure you use maybe around 10 different veggies if you can (yes! 10 different veggies) for a smoothie batch.
- Health Benefits – Using this formula you’ll get plenty of healthy fats, quality proteins, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients, enzymes and fiber, all the nutrients that you really need to thrive.
Pro Tip: This recipe uses almond milk and, if you don’t know how to make homemade almond milk, you can easily use my recipe for almond milk. Whatever the case is, make sure to use real almond milk, without tricky additives like sugar, without preservatives and preferably homemade.
Check-out this recipe and you’ll discover a low-carb smoothie that is very creamy and pleasant to drink. This smoothie works great in the morning after a long fast but, since it comes with plenty of healthy fats and protein, it can also work great as a meal replacement or a snack in-between meals.
If you decide to blend this smoothie, leave me a comment below or share a photo on Instagram and tag it #refreshmyhealth, and I will follow-up with you.
Marcel over. Enjoy your new smoothie!
What are your favorite plants to use in smoothies? How do you prepare your smoothies? Let me know in the comments below.
Almond Milk Spicy Smoothie
- 100 ml almond milk (homemade, or cashew milk)
- 2 medium avocado (skin and seed removed)
- 1 bok choy (chopped big)
- 1 golden apple (chopped big)
- 1 mandarin (skin removed)
- 1/2 cucumber fabio (sliced)
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 fennel (chopped small)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 500-600 ml water
- Add all the ingredients into your blender.
- Add the almond milk and the water. If you decide to add more almond milk, make sure to use less water overall.
- Blend on medium to high speed until you reach the desired texture.
- That’s it! Serve fresh or store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Color: pale green to yellow (more yellow)
- Texture: very pleasant to drink, it’s quite thick and perfect for drinking on an empty stomach after a long fast
- Taste: a bit spicy and otherwise neutral plant-based taste