Try this banana and leek smoothie that will give you a sunshine glow and a boost of those “good-for-you” nutrients. This smoothie has a sweet and spicy taste and comes packed with plenty of vegetables, banana and lots frozen berries. It’s super cool and refreshing, and only takes a few minutes to whip up, making breakfast time a breeze!
This banana leek smoothie was awesome and we loved it. It was:
Full of flavor
Sweet and Spicy
Health benefits of our Banana Leek Smoothie
Smoothies are incredibly simple to make: just place all the ingredients in a blender, cover with liquid and blend until smooth. Serve in a glass or jar, and enjoy an awesome drink loaded with nutrients!
Our banana leek smoothie comes packed with plenty of vegetables, frozen berries, some fruit and, as a very special extra, we’re using homemade macadamia milk as the base for this smoothie. Check-out the next section on how to make your own macadamia milk!
If you’d ask me to describe this smoothie in one word, I’d probably say this – Phytonutrients! Due to using different types of plants, this yellow smoothie is literally packed with different types of phytonutrients (antioxidants included). This immediately translates into numerous health benefits, especially when this smoothie is consumed fresh and when made using organic plants (optionally though).
What are phytonutrients, you may ask? Phytonutrients are special plant compounds found in all types of plants. There are many different types of phytonutrients (thousands) and when it comes to health benefits, it’s worth saying that phytonutrients work synergistically.
In a nutshell, phytonutrients help each other work better inside your body, providing even more health benefits when combined. This is a major reason for consuming different kinds of whole foods or serving nutrient-rich smoothies like this one.
How to make macadamia milk at home
In order to make your own macadamia milk, you’ll need 3 things:
- Macadamia Nuts (without shells)
- Water (always use pure clean water)
- Blender or Kitchen Robot (high power)
Here’s my simple recipe for making homemade macadamia milk:
- Start by using 200 ml water for every 100 grams of raw macadamia nuts. You can add more water at any time later, if needed.
- Add macadamia nuts into the blender. Next, add the water required, based on my instructions above.
- Blend on medium to high speed until mixture seems well combined. You’ll know the macadamia milk is ready when the blender contents will turn white. Macadamia milk should look something like “regular milk” but with a very thick texture due to the leftover pulp from the macadamia nuts.
- You can use the nut milk as is (with pulp) or you can strain it, separating the pulp from the liquid. Save the pulp for baked goods or add it to raw desserts.
- That was it! Now that the macadamia milk is ready, you can simply add all the smoothie ingredients over it, add a bit of water and blend your smoothie as usual.
Tips for making this banana leek superfood smoothie
- Start by making the macadamia milk first (see my recipe above).
- Once the macadamia milk is ready, add all other ingredients on top, add water for smoothie as usual, and blend your smoothie.
- Frozen fruits help give a cool, thick, ice cream like texture to smoothies. This is the main reason behind using things like frozen berries (this recipe), frozen spinach or frozen broccoli (other recipes).
- Healthy fats from avocado and extra virgin coconut oil will help you obtain a creamy texture that is always desired in smoothies. Without these healthy fats present in the recipe, smoothies will look and feel boring, won’t be creamy and instead will be full of chunks.
- When it comes to spices, use the spices that you feel comfortable with. Less is more here!
- Keep in mind that spices are a very elegant way to enhance your smoothie creation with different flavors, but also with various types of phytonutrient compounds.
- Since people use different kinds of blenders and the ingredients shapes and sizes can vary, feel free to adjust the quantity of water until your blender will puree everything nicely and smoothly.
That was it for now! I hope you’ll enjoy this banana leek smoothie as much as we did. If you decide to try this smoothie and you end-up liking it, we’d appreciate a comment and a 5-star rating by using the comments section below. Thanks in advance!
Want to share a picture online? Don’t forget to @refreshmyhealth on Social Media so we can see what you came up with.
I’m curious to know if you are “afraid” of the banana leek taste present in this smoothie? Let’s chat in the comments!
Banana Leek Smoothie (Sweet and Spicy)
- 1 glass macadamia milk (freshly made - see my notes in the post)
- 1 small avocado (skin and seed removed)
- 8-10 cm leeks
- 1/2 cucumber fabio
- 1/3 fennel
- 1 banana (peeled)
- 1 golden apple (seedless)
- 1 red apple (seedless)
- 3 mandarins (skin included, organic)
- 1-2 tbsp frozen cranberries
- 1-2 tbsp frozen sea buckthorn
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 3-4 tsp chia seeds + hemp seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- a bit of kale (optional)
- fresh dill (optional)
- 1 slice lemon (organic, optional)
- 500-600 ml water (on top of the macadamia milk)
- Start by preparing the macadamia milk: add macadamia nuts into the blender, followed by adding the water required for making the nut milk.Note: Use 200 ml of water for every 100 g of macadamia nuts.
- Blend on medium to high speed until all the macadamia nuts have been transformed into milk. You’ll know the macadamia milk is ready when the blender contents will turn white.
- You can use the macadamia milk as is (with pulp) or you can strain it, separating the pulp from the liquid. Save the pulp for baked or raw low-carb desserts.
- Wash and prep all the ingredients, remove skin, seeds and cut into pieces as needed.
- Add all solids into the blender on top of the macadamia milk. followed by adding the water require for the smoothie.
- Blend everything on medium to high speed until you obtain the desired consistency.
- Serve fresh or store this smoothie in the fridge for maximum of 2 days.
- Color: saturated yellow
- Texture: thick, well chopped and nice to drink
- Taste: very sweet with a spicy + leeks aftertaste