This smoothie is like a good wine waiting to be discovered. Much like a French wine, it has that dark red color, a pure aroma and a strong taste, leaving your taste buds with a very distinct and pleasant aftertaste that simply makes you want more. Meet my Berries and Red Beet Spicy Smoothie!
What better way to make your smoothie red than to use berries and red beets?! But let’s not stop here, let’s add some healthy fats for extra flavor; things like avocado, coconut butter and extra virgin coconut oil will also make your smoothie creamy. Don’t forget to include veggies and warming spices (turmeric, ginger, cinnamon) for added health benefits. That’s my recipe for a healthy smoothie!
Healthy Fats are Healthy
I really think that getting one avocado a day will transform your life in so many ways. The same goes for 1 tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil, a handful of olives or eating coconut. All those healthy fats will nourish your gut, your skin and basically your whole body, both on the inside and the outside. Putting things in perspective, if you want to live healthy (and who doesn’t?) should be to become fat adapted. This simply means teaching your body how to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs. Do this and you’ll be on your way to health. Easier said than done, right?
In our present society we’re taught that all fats are bad and that all carbs are good. We’re advised to eat low-fat meals and we’re told that fat is the main cause for heart disease, obesity and basically all things bad. Is this true? is this false?
Well … the reality turns out to be a bit different and a bit complicated. Let’s break down the fact below:
- we must carefully choose our carbs sources mostly from veggies and some fruits.
- we must avoid processed carbs of any kind.
- we must also choose healthy fats like saturated and monounsaturated fats and eat polyunsaturated fats from fresh sources only (PUFA oils are tricky).
- we must avoid processed fats like trans fats, oxidized fats, hydrogenated fats and basically all industrially processed seed oils.
The discussion on fats is a long one and I don’t want to confuse you with too many details. My advice for you is to take it one step at a time and eat naturally occurring fats: things like nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, coconut. Another option could be one of these smoothies loaded with veggies and healthy fats.
A nourishing smoothie
I hope you’ll decide to blend this recipe because it’s:
Loaded with healthy fats
Fat burning smoothie
Spicy and Sweet
& With a Cinnamon taste
My smoothie is ready now and it simply looks and smells amazing Taking my first sip, I can feel the wonderful aroma of berries. The smoothie has a sweet taste to it, coming from the combination of red beet and berries. It has a creamy texture and that makes it very easy to drink with a straw, no problems there! The ginger and cinnamon aftertaste leaves my whole body nourished and wanting for more.
I simply feel great when I drink one of these smoothies and, at the end of the day, I believe this is what counts. It may not be the best smoothie out there but for sure it’s one of the best I’ve made in a while. And that always makes my day, especially since the other day I had a recipe with simply too many veggies.
This smoothie is a keeper for me. If you decide to try this recipe, don’t be shy and leave a comment below. Share a photo on Instagram and tag it #refreshmyhealth so I can follow up with you. Enjoy!
Ever tried a red smoothie like this? What is your favorite type of healthy smoothie? Share below!
Berries and Red Beet Spicy Smoothie
- 200-250 g frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp frozen cranberries
- 1 big avocado (skinned and seeded)
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 1 red beet (chopped big)
- 1 golden apple (chopped big)
- 2 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 tsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 slice lemon (cut in 4, organic)
- 500 ml water
- Add all fruits and veggies into the blender.
- Add liquid (in my case water) and blend on medium to high speed until everything looks smooth and creamy.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy. You could also store it in the fridge for 2 days.
- Color: deep dark cherry red
- Texture: just right, perfect smoothie texture
- Taste: spicy and sweet with a light cinnamon taste (for the connaisseur)