Meet a smoothie made from leftovers veggies … It has a creamy texture and tastes like blueberries with a spicy ginger aftertaste. it’s also loaded with many nutrients from all the berries, beets, spinach, leeks, bananas or Asian warming spices.
This recipe proves one thing: you just can’t go wrong with smoothies. I mean, I didn’t start this recipe with a plan in mind. I didn’t even had avocado at hand .. and you guys know how much I love avocado in my smoothie.
Yet this smoothie turned out pretty good to say at least. Actually, for a smoothie that’s full of berries and no avocado, it tastes surprisingly good. It tastes like berries all around, plus it has a spicy aftertaste that I like so much (ginger spoiler alert!).
Here’s why I like this smoothie. It’s:
Easy to drink
What makes this smoothie special?
When I talk about a smoothie, I don’t talk only about its colors and its taste. I try to see beyond this, I always look at the ingredients and the nutrients they potentially bring to a smoothie.
Here’s why I recommend this smoothie to anyone:
- has quite a few greens in it: spinach, bok choy, leeks.
- and some pretty sweet plants: red beet, banana, berries.
- has spices that make it special: ginger, turmeric, schinduf, cinnamon and cardamom.
- and extra virgin coconut oil (healthy fats alert!).
- plus an interesting texture that makes it so nice to drink.
- and … comes packed with many “good-for-you” nutrients that will help you immune system bounce back anything bad.
Ever wondered what are those “good-for-you” nutrients that keep coming up in all of these smoothies? Well … this is simply a shortcut I like to use instead of saying: vitamins + minerals + healthy fiber + phytonutrinets (including powerful antioxidants) + enzymes + healthy fats. These are the compounds that your body needs to thrive.
This is one of those smoothies that won’t be forgotten in a corner of your fridge. Bonus Tip: Make sure to prepare more if you have guests, they’ll love it!
I hope you’ll decide to try this recipe. Let me know if you do, and if you liked or didn’t like it. Leave a comment below and I’ll get back asap. Or share a photo on Instagram, tag it #refreshmyhealth and I will follow-up with you. Enjoy your smoothie!
What is your favorite kind of smoothie? Why do you love smoothies? Share your experience below!
Blueberries Surprise Smoothie
- 250 g frozen blueberries
- 200-250 g frozen spinach
- 1 bok choy
- 1/2 cucumber fabio
- 5 cm leeks
- 2 bananas (peeled)
- 1 red beet (skin removed, sliced)
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp schinduf powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/4 lemon (with skin, organic)
- 500 ml water
- Wash and prep all the ingredients as indicated.
- Blend everything on medium to high speed until you obtain the desired texture.
- Serve fresh or store in the fridge for max 2 days.
- Color: cherry dark red (no trace of greens)
- Texture: solid texture, very creamy, some seeds from the berries
- Taste: sweet taste with a ginger aftertaste, otherwise sweet and pleasant to drink