If you like chocolate and coconut, these crunchy macaroons might be your thing. Surprising and sophisticated in the same time, this low-carb dessert will not let you down in terms of taste as well as healthy nutrients.
I love the idea of making a cookie that combines two of my favorite ingredients: chocolate and coconut. On one side we have coconut, one of the best sources of healthy fats; on the other side we have chocolate, and who can resist the flavor and the taste of pure raw cacao, cacao mass or cacao butter?
You’ll love my double chocolate macaroons! They’re:
Loaded with healthy fats
Perfect for low-carb and keto diets
Crisp on the outside
Tender on the inside
Ridiculously easy to make
This recipe is made of two parts, the macaroon and the chocolate coating, and it takes about 1 hour to make, including baking and assembly time.
You start by preparing the batter, followed by baking the macaroons. While the macaroons are in the oven, you’ll be working on the chocolate sauce. Once they’re out of the oven, you’ll have to let them sit for a few minutes before coating them with the chocolate. Last step is to place the macaroons in the fridge until the chocolate solidifies. That’s it and nothing more! It may look complicated at first but it’s not, it’s a pretty simple process and I bet you’ll have great results from the first try.
These macaroons are great to have around as a healthier dessert or snack. And because they don’t really need to stay in the fridge, they’re work great as a travel snack for a busy day in the city or a walk in the park.
If you decide to try the recipe, let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #refreshmyhealth on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with. Enjoy your macaroons!
Do you love chocolate and coconut together? Would you try this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Double Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
- 40 g almond flour
- 40 g coconut flour
- 100 g coconut chips (chopped small)
- 30 g raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 egg whites
- 80 g coconut oil (melted)
- 20 g cacao mass
- 40 g cacao butter
- 2-3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp raisins (chopped)
- 2 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- Preheat the oven at 180 Celsius. In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, coconut chips, cacao powder, cinnamon, vanilla, black pepper and salt.
- Add egg whites and melted coconut oil. Mix well until combined.
- Use a small ice-cream scoop or a soup spoon to create the macaroons. Simply take enough batter to fill in the ice-cream scoop.
- Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Transfer in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until they are solid without being burned in any way.
- Remove from the oven when done and set aside to cool down until we prepare the chocolate coating.
- In a double boiler, melt together cacao mass, cacao powder, raisins and coconut oil.
- Keep the double boiler at a lower temperature and melt the chocolate slowly. Once completely melted, turn off the heat.
- Set aside to cool down but don’t let it solidify.
Assemble the macaroons
- Before starting to assemble the macaroons, make sure that the chocolate sauce has cooled down but it's not solid. The macaroons also need to be at room temperature.
- Take one macaroon at a time and dip the top in the chocolate sauce.
- Place on a tray to solidify at room temperature. Once the entire batch is done, move in the fridge.
- You can serve them right now or store in the fridge for at least 4-5 days.