If you love avocado and vegetables together then this easy summer salad might be perfect for you! Delicious and always fresh, this salad is packed with healthy nutrients that you need every single day … and ready in 5 minutes.
My wife always says that if it’s green is definitely healthy to eat and I guess this quick avocado salad falls right in there, wouldn’t you say so?
To tell you the truth, I haven’t planned to make this salad, I simply wanted to make one of those guacamole recipes. But I discovered that my avocado wasn’t creamy enough for a guacamole and, since all the other ingredients were ready and waiting, this “messy” salad was my only option … and let me tell you that it turned out pretty good!
This avocado summer salad was too good to be true and here’s why. It was:
Ingredients for Avocado Summer Salad
You’ll need a few common vegetables that you’d normally use for making guacamole, plus the star ingredient … Avocado!
- Avocado – creamy and packed with good fats, avocado is one of the healthiest sources of beneficial nutrients. One note, organically grown avocados are always creamy and ripe perfectly, plus they don’t cost much either.
- Red Onion – onions are rich in conventional nutrients as well as unique phytonutrients, they’re also perfect for balancing all those healthy “good-for-you” fats.
- Leeks – together with onion, leeks gives our salad a special seasonal flavor. I discovered that organically grown leeks is “wow!”
- Bell Pepper – perfect in all types of salads, bell peppers are another nutritional powerhouse (lots of phytonutrients, plus vitamins and minerals) and one of my favorite veggies. Go organic if possible to minimize pesticides exposure.
- Cucumber – there’s something about cucumbers in salads that always resonates with me!
- Celery (stalk) – I like to use a bit of raw celery (stalk) mainly for its salty-ish taste and crunchy texture. I think it’s a nice surprise in any salad plus it comes with plenty of nutrients. Buy organic if possible!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – I like to use Greek extra virgin olive oil because it’s an absolutely amazing high-quality oil full of flavor and packed with beneficial fats and natural antioxidants. You don’t have to buy organic here, just make sure to buy authentic extra virgin olive oil (Greece or Italy are the best producers).
- Lime Juice – the lime juice is here to protect the delicate fats from oxidation, and it’s perfect to balance the fats from avocado and extra virgin olive oil.
- Pinch of Salt – a little goes a long way here!
How to make this messy avocado summer salad
- Start by peeling, cutting and chopping all the plants as needed.
- Add everything to your favorite salad bowl and use a fork to mix veggies between them.
- Pour extra virgin olive oil on top and mix to combine with vegetables.
- Add lime juice and pinch of salad and mix one last time.
- That was it! Serve by itself or as a side to your meal.
This avocado summer salad can be upgraded!
- For crunchiness (and more nutrients, including protein) add chopped walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts to your salad.
- You could also use pine nuts, personally I absolutely love these small nuts in any kind of salads (although they tend to be a bit more expensive).
- Maybe swap nuts for seeds like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or hemp seeds.
- In case you want to add even more healthy fats to your salad, why not add a handful of kalamata olives (or other types of olives)?
- Love spicy food (or spicy salads)? Include chopped jalapeños or red chili peppers and you’ll be in for a spicy treat.
- Want something totally new? Try adding 1 tbsp of raisins and let me know what you think!
As you can see, there is a lot that you can do with this messy avocado salad. It’s one of those salads that you can make over and over again, and will taste amazing every time.
Why this avocado summer salad is great?
This salad is packed with real unprocessed nutrients.
Delicious salad that tastes amazing every time.
It’s made with wholesome ingredients and packed with real nutrients
It’s very easy to make and won’t cost much either.
Gluten-free, sugar-free and free of refined seed oils.
Low-carb & Keto compliant and perfect for your Whole30 reset!
Consuming this kind of salad will help you stay in the fat burning zone.
Perfect for vegan and vegetarian eaters that want to eat keto for a change.
Great to detox and heal your entire system from the inside.
Use it as a way to heal skin, nails, hair, gut, digestion … basically to detox your system!
You can enjoy this salad by itself especially if you add some of the “extras” listed above. Or you can pair it with a main course and you’ll end-up with one delicious and nutrient-rich meal. What you don’t consume, you can store in the fridge in an airtight container and will last for 1-2 days (even longer).
If you like this easy salad recipe, please consider leaving a short review/comment below. Your review will help others decide if this salad is worth-it! As for myself, I’m curious to find out how you liked this avocado summer salad and what are your favorite extras.
What are your favorite extras to add in this salad? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Easy Messy Avocado Summer Salad | Vegan, Keto, Whole30
- Salad Bowl
- 1 medium avocado (skin and seed removed, slices)
- 1 small red onion (chopped)
- 5 cm leeks (sliced)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (slices)
- 1/2 cucumber (slices, cut in 4s)
- 1/2 stick celery (sliced small)
- lime juice (as needed)
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt (I used white mountain salt)
- Prepare all the plants as indicated (peel, cut, chop) and add them to your favorite salad bowl.
- Pour extra virgin olive oil over veggies and mix to combine with the vegetables.
- Add optional lime juice and salt. Mix again to incorporate into salad.
- That was it! Serve as a side to your meal or enjoy as is since this summer salad in a filler by itself.