I made this smoothie at the beginning of our smoothie journey and I remember it was one of the best recipes at the time. Thick and creamy, sweet but not too sweet, refreshing and nourishing, we just loved every sip. The secret to this perfect Mad Mango Smoothie? Getting out of my comfort zone, getting creative and trying new ingredients, playing with the quantities and forgetting about the rules.
This smoothie was:
Fun to make
Perfect yellow-green color
What made the Mad Mango Smoothie great?
Maybe it was the healthy fats … plenty of avocado, coconut oil and pecans. I used 3 avocados (basically one for each smoothie glass) plus extra virgin coconut oil, and this made it very creamy and so nice to drink.
Maybe it was the mango, dates and apples combo? To make it sweet I used one fresh mango, a few dates and one apple. Mangos are made for smoothies! They’re sweet and a bit sour, and will add a tropical taste to any smoothie. I also like adding apples to my smoothies because they are sweet enough without being too sweet, plus apples are very low in carbs compared to other fruits. Dates are also great for making your smoothie sweet without using any kind of refined sweetener.
Maybe it was the mango and avocado combo? Mango and avocado work great in smoothies, they’re one of those magical combinations that will make your smoothie creamy and tasty, also adding lots of beneficial nutrients in the process.
Last but not least, all my smoothies include vegetables and this one is no exception. If I was to do it again, I’d add even more veggies. Wanna know a secret? With time I started to appreciate vegetables more and more, and now I’m using at least 10 different types of veggies into my smoothie. But hey, that’s me and this is a story for another article.
A rainbow of aromas
Try to be creative, experiment and see what works for you. Play around with different combinations and find out what you like or don’t like. Yes, sometimes you’ll fail miserably but other times you’ll end-up with smoothies that taste wonderful. Smoothies are about making that rainbow of aromas happen right there in your kitchen.
Thanks for reading so far and I hope I inspired you to make a smoothie today. Make smoothies, have fun and enjoy the ride!
If you decide to try this recipe, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, share a picture and tag it #refreshmyhealth on Instagram so I can follow-up with you. Enjoy your smoothie!
How often are you making smoothies? How did you start? Share below!
Mad Mango Smoothie
- 3 small avocados (skin and seeds removed)
- 1 medium golden apple (no seeds please)
- 1 big stick celery
- 1/2 small fennel (chopped)
- 3 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium mango (skin and seed removed)
- 2-3 dried dates (chopped small)
- 1 tsp grated ginger (or ginger powder)
- pinch of vanilla powder
- pinch of white pepper
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- 300 ml water
- decorated with dried dates and pecans (optional)
- Chop and prepare all the ingredients according to my instructions.
- Add everything into the blender, cover with water.
- Blend on medium to high speed until your smoothie looks creamy and smooth.
- Consider adding more water if your blender has a hard time chopping the ingredients. If you want to speed things up, try using the pulse function a few times.
- Once ready, pour into glasses and decorate with chopped dates and pecans.
- Serve fresh or store in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
- Color: perfect green-yellow combo
- Texture: thick and creamy
- Taste: sweet, refreshing