Topped with freshly made berry jam, these messy banana and egg pancakes are super healthy and extremely tasty. The classical banana and egg pancakes just got a quicker easier version, made to be enjoyed without guilt!
These messy banana egg pancakes are all about enjoying a simple, healthy and tasty dessert, quick meal or snack, without fuss. You don’t have to order anything, you don’t have to go anywhere and certainly you won’t need fancy ingredients or kitchen tools. You’ll be cooking these pancakes yourself and they will taste amazing.
In the next few minutes I’ll show you my secrets for pancakes perfection so let us get started!
Messy banana and egg pancakes 101
Today we’re not making pancakes that look “pretty” for posting on your social media, today we’re focusing on making delicious and healthy pancakes that will nourish you from the inside. We’re making pancakes that can be eaten at breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a pancake-snack (I just invented a word here ….).
These pancakes are loaded with healthy nutrients, while being low in carbohydrates (sugar). But they’re also gluten-free and refined sugar-free, with an easy diary-free option available. Excited are you now?!
I absolutely love these pancakes and you should too. They are:
Easy to Make
Messy and Cozy
Gluten-free, Refined Sugar-free
& Free of Refined Seed Oils
& with a Dairy-free option available
Keto, Low-Carb, Paleo and Whole30 approved
What goes into these messy banana egg pancakes
For cooking the pancakes you’ll need the following ingredients:
- vanilla powder
- cinnamon powder
- butter (or coconut oil, for cooking)
As for toppings, my recipe is pretty simple as well:
- fresh or frozen berries (I used blueberries and blackberries)
- butter (or coconut oil, for cooking)
Making these messy pancakes is pretty easy
- Mash bananas and add them to a bowl together with eggs, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Mix everything for 30 seconds until combined into a batter.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet and grease it with 1/2 tsp butter (or coconut oil)
- Using a medium ladle, add your first pancake into the skillet and cook on both sides.
- Once the pancake is ready, remove it from skillet and set aside on a plate, forming a stack.
- Repeat from #3 until all the pancakes are cooked.
Pro Tip: If you want to make these pancakes vegan and dairy-free, just replace butter with extra virgin coconut oil. Personally I always use the kind that retains all the natural flavors of coconut and I can tell you that it’s amazing every time.
These pancakes can be upgraded!
You can serve these pancakes as I did (with berries cooked in butter) or you can get really creative with your toppings. It’s up to you!
Here are a few ideas of toppings to try with these messy banana and eggs pancakes:
- fresh berries – use your favorite kind of fresh or frozen berries or a mix of berries.
- berries cooked in butter – that’s what we did but you can experiment with different types of berries (you can also cook them in coconut oil).
- melted dark chocolate – forget about store-bought nutella when you can easily melt 85% dark chocolate (take 2 minutes).
- homemade chocolate sauce – make your own chocolate sauce in a double boiler using cacao mass, cacao butter and coconut sugar.
- full-fat whipped cream or creme fraîche – simply beat your own whipped cream using full-fat creme fraîche or … why not eat serve the pancakes with plain creme fraîche.
- dates, raisins, prunes, figs – dried fruit will add a bit more sugar (carbs) to the mix which can be great for recovery, plus they add electrolytes and vitamins.
- raw butter – if you can get your hands on grass-fed raw butter go for it!
- nut butters – oh! those nut butters. Try pairing these pancakes with almond, cashew, hazelnut, peanut butter and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
- apple slices – personally, I prefer sweet and sour apples, I like using my apple slices raw or cooked in one teaspoon of butter.
I hope you’ll like these messy pancakes as much as we did! Want to share a photo online? don’t forget to @refreshmyhealth so I can see what you came up with. I’d so appreciate if you could leave me a comment and a review.
Enjoy these messy banana and eggs pancakes with your loved ones, be cozy and share the recipe with someone you know will like it. Spread the love!
Would you give these messy pancakes a go? Share your thoughts below.
Messy Banana and Egg Pancakes with Berries
- Plain Bowl
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 bananas (peeled, mashed)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp butter (for cooking)
- 100 g fresh or frozen berries (blueberries + blackberries)
- 1 tsp butter (for cooking)
- In a medium bowl add eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix all the ingredients using a whisk or a big fork.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet and grease it with 1/2 tsp butter.
- Using a medium ladle, add your first pancake into the skillet.
- Cook on small heat until lightly brown on one side, then carefully flip using a silicone spatula.
- Continue cooking on the other side until done, making sure not to burn the pancake.
- Once done remove the pancake using the same silicone spatula and set on a wide plate. Stack all the pancakes on top of each other.
- Repeat from #3 until the entire batter is gone, making sure you add that 1/2 tsp of butter before each one.
- Add berries and 1-2 tsp butter into heated cast iron skillet.
- Cook on medium heat until all the water has evaporated and the berries have transformed into a jam.
- Add freshly cooked jam on top of the pancakes and serve. Enjoy!