If you are looking for a way to make perfect flavorful homemade coffee without using any kind of coffee maker or ibrik, check-out this simple recipe! I’ve also included tips on what type of coffee to use and how to make coffee in a good old fashioned way.
I want to share with you a simple method that you can use at any time to prepare great coffee wherever you are. No matter if you’re at home or if you travel to a remote island, you can still make great coffee that you’ll fall in love with every single time.
Calling all coffee lovers … this easy homemade coffee was:
You’ll only need a small pot (or water boiler) that you can use to boil fresh water, a classic coffee cup, a teaspoon (for measuring coffee) and arabica coffee (use 100% arabica from Ethiopia).
Are you excited to learn how to make great coffee? Let’s get started!
What you’ll need to make that perfect cup of coffee
In a nutshell, these are the ingredients that you’ll need for making great coffee, without using any kind of coffee machines or pots:
- 100% Arabica Coffee – For making the best homemade coffee, my advice is to use 100% arabica coffee from Ethiopia since that is one of the best and purest coffee types. At least, use arabica coffee that has been grown at high altitude. Also, make sure to use finely grounded coffee, like the one used for espresso or even finer. Lastly, choose organic coffee since this coffee is harvested without chemicals and has a richer flavor compared to cheaper coffee.
- Coffee Cup – Use a basic ceramic coffee cup and stay away from plastic or styrofoam cups. Start by adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of 100% arabica coffee (finely grounded) into a medium coffee cup (150 ml to 200 ml in size).
- Small Pot or Water Boiler – You’ll need a small pot or a water boiler for boiling water. Simply add fresh water into a small pot or a classic water boiler, and bring to a boil. Once the water has reached the boiling temperature, slowly pour water into the coffee cup at an angle, allowing the hot water to dissolve the coffee and to develop those special flavors. The result should look similar to a Turkish coffee but keep in mind that it won’t be quite the same (it’s actually better and easier to make).
- Coconut Sugar (optional) – Should you prefer your coffee a bit sweet, simply mix 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar with the coffee, before pouring hot water into the cup.
- Cinnamon or Cardamon (optional) – An optional way to infuse a different flavor into your homemade coffee. Mix a bit of cinnamon or cardamom with the coffee, before pouring hot water.
Step to make perfect homemade coffee
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of 100% arabica coffee into a coffee cup.
- Optionally add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or cardamom, or a bit of coconut sugar, and mix to combine with the grounded coffee inside the cup.
- Add water into a pot or water boiler, and boil until the water reaches the boiling temperature.
- Slowly pour boiled water into the coffee cup at an angle.
- Let the coffee relax while the flavors develop for one or two minutes.
- DONE! Your perfect homemade coffee cup is ready.
Tips for making great homemade coffee
- It’s important to let the coffee relax into the cup for a few minutes, before tasting it. The flavor is always amazing this way!
- Take notice that you’ll most likely feel the coffee grounds since this recipe doesn’t produce filtered coffee. You’ll likely feel the grounds when sipping from your coffee, until they will slowly sink at the bottom of the cup.
- This recipe is similar to the way Turkish coffee is prepared but it’s not quite the same. For instance, we don’t boil the water and coffee together, the way Turkish coffee is made.
- This type of coffee is usually served “black”, without adding any kind of sweetener. Should you want to add a bit of sweetness, simply mix a bit of coconut sugar with the coffee before pouring hot water into the cup.
- You won’t be using any kind of special pot to prepare this coffee and you won’t have to boil the coffee and water together.
- This type of homemade coffee is made by first boiling the water separately and, once the water has reached the boiling temperature, slowly pour hot water over a cup that has finely grounded coffee added to it.
- The secret to making great homemade coffee this way is to use the best arabica coffee, preferably organic, grown at high altitude.
- The coffee that I’m using today is 100% arabica organic coffee from Ethiopia (Tchibo Organic). I’ve also successfully used coffee from Mexico, also organic and grown at high altitude. Note that I’m using finely grounded 100% organic arabica coffee.
- Please stay away from preparing or drinking coffee in plastic cups, paper cups or styrofoam cups. Make sure to use a ceramic cup and stay away from cups that are painted on the inside. Avoid all the above examples due to a high risk of toxicity and possible danger to one’s health.
How to serve this amazing coffee
For the best flavor, serve a cup of this perfect homemade coffee while still hot. Just let it sit for one or two minutes before sipping, since you want the coffee to settle a bit and the flavors to develop.
Serve a cup of homemade coffee with a few squares of dark chocolate on the side. Alternatively, enjoy a piece of delicious low-carb cake or a keto muffin with this delicious coffee.
This homemade coffee is perfect all year round, from those cold winters to the hot summer days. Enjoy in moderation and use the best coffee that you can buy!
I hope this homemade coffee recipe is what you’re looking for. We’ve been drinking coffee like this for a few years now and I can only tell you that it’s always amazing and extremely rich in flavor, without being too acidic (like an espresso usually is).
If you decide to try our homemade coffee recipe please let me know how it turned out for you. Leave a comment and a review, and share this recipe with other coffee lovers. Cheers, friend!
How do you prepare your coffee at home? Have you tried making it by following our recipe? Share below.
Perfect Homemade Coffee (No Machine or Pot Needed)
- Small Pot or Water Boiler
- Coffee Cup 150-200 ml
- 1-2 tsp 100% arabica coffee (organic, from Ethiopia)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
- pinch of cinnamon or cardamom (optional)
- hot water (boiled)
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of quality arabica coffee into a coffee cup.
- Optional add cinnamon, cardamom and/or coconut sugar, but not too much. We don’t want to ruin the delicate flavor of real coffee.
- Bring water to a boil in a stainless steel pot or water boiler.
- Slowly pour hot water into the coffee cup at an angle, until water reaches the top of the cup.
- Let the flavors develop for a few minutes before tasting the coffee.
- Congratulations! You can now enjoy a cup of delicious homemade coffee.