Perfectly balanced, thick and creamy, this breakfast ready green smoothie bowl will satisfy all your cravings for something sweet, natural and healthy. Top it with your favorite extras and get ready to enjoy a second serving. This green smoothie bowl works great as breakfast, snack or simply when you want something sweet.
To all the lovely people out there … this green smoothie bowl was:
Easy to digest
This green smoothie bowl calls for a few more ingredients that you’ll usually find in many of the common recipes …. but this makes it even more delicious. With this recipe we go beyond your average banana, avocado and spinach combo as we’ll be using lots of “hidden” plants.
Here are the ingredients that you’ll be using for making this green smoothie bowl (as always, find complete details in the recipe card):
- Avocado – Creamy and packed with healthy fats, avocado is definitely my favorite plant to start any kind of smoothie.
- Frozen Spinach – Now that we’re using spinach, we can definitely say that we’re covered in terms of nutrients.
- Banana – Last part of the base for our smoothie combo, and the perfect partner to avocado, banana is definitely a favorite in our house. You can use fresh or frozen banana, and definitely go organic if you can.
- Carrot – Carrots are a nutritional powerhouse and especially great when served raw. Besides salads, I don’t know of another way to enjoy raw carrots (except for eating them from your hand, as we often did as children).
- Fennel – No green smoothie can be complete without fennel, right?
- Celery Stick – As you know by now, fennel and celery are two of my favorites and they go hand in hand in terms of taste and nutrients.
- White Radish – Had some in the fridge so why not use it in this green smoothie bowl? I know!
- Grapefruit – I love the sweet and bitter taste of a perfectly ripen organic grapefruit. Make sure to avoid those cheap grapefruits that are sour and don’t have that perfect texture. Instead go for organically grown grapefruits or grapefruits that are full of flavor and smell wonderful even on the outside.
- Apple – I used one sweet and sour apple, but you can definitely use the kind that you like. If you ask me, sometimes I will use a green apple, other times a red apple, there is no rule when it comes to apples in smoothies. You can also replace an apple with a pear, in case you don’t have apples available.
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil – Why? Because it’s packed with healthy fats that are not oxidized so definitely “good-for-you”. Smoothies are the perfect way to include a bit of extra virgin coconut oil, especially since coconut oil helps your blender smooth things out faster.
- Chia Seeds – Chia seeds are a great way to add fiber, healthy fats (omega-3) and phytonutrients to your breakfast smoothie bowl.
- Turmeric Powder – Think phytonutrients that will boost your immune system in so many ways. You will need just a bit of organic turmeric powder to get all these benefits.
- Ginger Powder – A very potent root plant, gInger is a bit spicy and packed with phytonutrients. Go organic if possible!
- Cinnamon Powder – Who doesn’t love the flavor of cinnamon? It’s perfect in all kinds of desserts, smoothies and smoothie bowl.
- Himalayan Salt – A bit of salt balances the whole smoothie in a very nice and natural way. Don’t add too much!
- Water – Add just enough water to help your blender mix everything. In the last section I detail the way I use just enough water for obtaining a thick and creamy smoothie.
- Toppings – I used banana slices, raspberries and some chia seeds., Definitely use the toppings that you love!
Steps to make delicious green smoothie bowl
- Prep the ingredients. Peel, remove seeds, slice or chop the ingredients as needed.
- Add everything into the blender. Place all the ingredients into your blender and cover with water to level everything. Make sure not to add too much water since we want to obtain a thick and creamy consistency.
- Blend on medium to high speed. Initially start the blender on low speed and slowly move to medium, and then to high speed. Keep it there until everything is smooth and creamy. Add a bit more water if needed and continue to blend until you obtain the desired consistency.
- Assemble then serve. Once you obtain the desired consistency, transfer thick smoothie into your favorite bowl and decorate with preferred toppings. Use a spoon to serve and share this nourishing green smoothie bowl with others!
Tips for making the perfect smoothie bowl
- Don’t add too much water – Since our goal is to obtain a thick and creamy consistency, start by adding just enough water to cover the ingredients. In case you notice that your blender has troubles mixing everything, stop it and add a bit more water.
- What if I want to skip ingredients? – You can definitely skip some of the ingredients like radish, carrot, celery of fennel, and even the asian spices. Just make sure not to skip banana, avocado and spinach since these are the ingredients that make-up the base of this smoothie.
- Why frozen spinach? – I almost always use frozen “something” in my smoothies, and spinach or broccoli are two of my favorites. The reason for using frozen spinach in this recipe is this: it takes me 10 seconds to add it to my smoothie and it also makes this smoothie cool and super refreshing. Of course, you will need a blender that can chop frozen ingredients but these blenders are very common nowadays.
- What toppings should I use? – This is one area where you can improvise and make this green smoothie bowl yours. From coconut chips, to dried fruit, fresh or frozen berries, or even apple slices, nuts or seeds, this green smoothie bowl can handle any kind of toppings that you can eat with a spoon.
I hope you’ll love this easy green smoothie bowl as much as we did. If you decide to try it, let us know what you think about it by leaving a comment and a 5-star rating, if you liked it.
This green smoothie bowl deserves some top love! Don’t forget to @refreshmyhealth on Social Media and to spread the love by sharing this post!
What is your favorite way to decorate a smoothie bowl? Share below!
Perfectly Balanced Green Smoothie Bowl
- 1 big avocado (skin and seed removed)
- 150 g frozen spinach
- 1 small banana (peeled)
- 2 small carrots
- 1 slice fennel
- 1 stick celery
- 2 white radish (peeled)
- 1/2 grapefruit (skin removed)
- 1 big sweet and sour apple (seeded)
- 2 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- water (cover the ingredients in the blender)
- decorated with banana, raspberries and chia seeds
- Add everything into your blender. Add enough water to level everything.
- Blend on medium to high until everything looks creamy.
- Serve fresh or store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Color: light pure green
- Texture: thick, creamy, finely chopped, perfect served as a smoothie bowl
- Taste: overall neutral taste, a bit sweet and a bit bitter (white radish + grapefruit)