This red beet vegan ice cream recipe holds a special place in my heart because it was the first ever homemade vegan ice cream that I made. It’s smooth and naturally creamy, vegan and low-carb, plus it’s delicious and you have to try it.
This is the story of how this ice cream came together.
We were living in Norway at the time, it was late autumn and the weather wasn’t pretty. It was cold and cloudy outside, and that morning was no different than other mornings. We got up late, we made black coffee (my wife’s recipe) skipping breakfast as we usually do. But something was different after all … it was the day we’d make out first vegan ice cream.
Our first homemade ice cream
In the last years we shifted our diet towards eating more plants, low-carb desserts (many are raw) and freshly made smoothies. Today we decided to hit one more checkpoint and make our first vegan ice cream. We’ll be trying a pretty simple recipe that requires only 3 ingredients and no ice cream maker. Our recipe is based on banana and avocado, with a touch of red beet. Sounds pretty simple, right? Well …
Frankly, we have no idea how it’s going to turn out or if it’s going to be edible in the end. We’re looking for that creamy consistency and a refreshing taste, but at this point we don’t know what to expect.
Ah … the excitement of trying a new recipe that you’re inventing right there on the spot … Is this recipe going to work? Maybe we should try a cookbook instead! How do you even obtain that creamy ice cream consistency we all love? Will my blender crash when mixing all these frozen ingredients?
A few minutes later …
I’m happy to report that we made our ice cream after all. It turned out unexpectedly good and you can find the recipe below. We took some pictures and ate the whole batch on the spot, so I guess this is solid proof that it turned out great after all.
We LOVE this ice cream and we hope you’ll love it too. It was:
Easy to make
& Easy to Make
Great as breakfast or dessert
That was the story of our first banana and red beet vegan ice cream recipe. If you decide to try our recipe, share a photo on Instagram and tag it #refrehsmyhealth so I can see how it turned out.
Some of my favorite desserts
If you’d like to check out other tasty desserts on Refresh My Health:
Have you made your own ice cream before? Would you try this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Red Beet Vegan Ice Cream
- 4 medium bananas (peeled)
- 1 big avocado (skin and seed removed)
- 1 red beet (peeled, chopped big)
- Prepare the ingredients by peeling and chopping them as indicated.
- We need to freeze the ingredients before processing them in the blender. Take 2 plastic bags and place half of the ingredients in each bag.
- Move the bags in the freezer for a few hours, until the ingredients have become rock solid.
- Remove from the freezer, remove frozen ingredients from the bags and transfer them into the blender. Let them sit there for 5-10 minutes before processing (since they are rock solid and you may not be able to blend them right away).
- Using the pulse and high-speed settings, process the ingredients until they reach a creamy and soft consistency. Stop from time to time to scrape the contents towards the inside of the blender jar.
- Once your ice cream has reached the desired texture, transfer into a bowl and portion into desired sizes.
- You can serve it as is or store in the freezer for up to a week.