The combination of avocado, pomegranate and berries (plus lots of other veggies and spices) makes for a refreshing and creamy smoothie. This one’s loaded with healthy nutrients and comes with a double taste: spicy and sweet.
I remember this was one of my best recipes at the time and here’s why. It was:
Spicy & Sweet
& Fun to Make
Super Red Color
What’s in this Spicy and Sweet Red Smoothie?
Let’s break down all the ingredients, discussing a bit about why I’ve included each of them as well as their associate health benefits:
- Romaine Lettuce – It’s one of those “good-for-you” green leafy vegetables, loaded with vitamins, minerals, enzymes and fiber.
- Avocado – Avocado comes with plenty of healthy fats plus healthy fiber. Will always make your smoothie creamy every time.
- Blueberries – I like to buy them frozen, since they don’t cost much, they’re already washed and super cold from the fridge. Frozen berries and avocado will always make for a creamy smoothie (like in our case). Also, don’t forget that blueberries are loaded with phytonutrients (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties).
- Golden Apple – Both me and my wife, we love these yellow sweet apples. They’re loaded with healthy fiber and available in any season.
- Pomegranate – I don’t use pomegranate too often because I’m a bit lazy and I prefer frozen berries. But this doesn’t mean you can’t use yourself, especially since pomegranates are loaded with phytonutrients and vitamins.
- Fennel – One of those vegetables that it’s a bit strange to use in smoothies. It’s a crunchy sweet plant, similar to celery (apio), loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Celery – For me, celery goes hand in hand with fennel. I use them both for smoothies and soups, and I even used them in smoothie bowls.
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil – One of the best sources of healthy fats, coconut oil can be added to smoothies, desserts or used as a cooking oil. 1 Tbsp a day will get you a long way.
- Chia Seeds – These little seeds are a great source of healthy fats and fiber, but also minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron. Chia seeds are a superfood and 1 Tbsp goes a long way in terms of health benefits.
- Raw Cacao – While you won’t feel the specific cacao taste, you’ll know it’s there. Cacao is high in a group of phytonutrients called flavonoids (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties).
- Cinnamon, Turmeric, Ginger Powder – I like to use these powders in all my smoothie recipes, in various combinations. They’re a fun way to spice things up when it comes to your smoothie’s taste or health benefits.
- Lemon – I always finish a smoothie with lemon or lime juice. Not too much but just enough to balance for the healthy fats, but also act as an antioxidant (my smoothie lasts longer this way).
- Liquid – I used water but you can also use coconut water or coconut milk. If you decide to use full-fat coconut milk, you can safely skip the coconut oil.
What are some of the health benefits?
Smoothies are a great way to enjoy lots of raw plants that comes with vitamins, minerals, enzymes, phytonutrients or healthy fiber. They’re fresh, tasty and fun to drink. But if you want to go next level, try making smoothies that are low in carbs (specifically fructose) while using more vegetables and high potency plants.
Here are some of the benefits that you can expect from a healthy smoothie like this one:
- Better skin
- Better digestion
- Important source of healthy fats
- Keeps hunger away in a healthy way
- Helps with cravings
- Energy boosting
- Acts as a detoxifying agent
If you try this smoothie, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #refreshmyhealth on Instagram so I can follow-up. Enjoy your smoothie!
What’s your favorite smoothie combination? What’s your favorite smoothie color? Share your tips below.
Refreshing Spicy and Sweet Red Smoothie
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce (medium sized lettuce)
- 1 avocado (skin and seed removed)
- 125 g frozen blueberries (organic)
- 1 medium golden apple
- ½ pomegranate (seeds only)
- 1 big piece of fennel (chopped)
- 1 stick celery (sliced)
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp raw cacao
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 slice lemon
- 400 ml water
- Peel, chop and cut all the ingredients according to the indications above.
- Place them all into your blender and take your time blending until everything looks smooth and creamy.
- Hey! Wasn’t that easy?!
- Color: very red
- Texture: creamy, smooth texture, easy to drink
- Taste: refreshing, spicy and sweet