I love this homemade frittata cavolo because it’s super easy to make, smells incredible and tastes amazing, plus you get tons of healthy nutrients out of the box.
When I started transitioning to a low-carb way of eating, this used to be my go-to meal every single morning. It was so good that, in addition to breakfast, sometimes I would also cook my special frittata for lunch or even for dinner.
I love this recipe because it comes packed with healthy fats, quality proteins, vegetables and herbs. Plus it’s so easy to prepare that literally anyone can do it. Still, what I love most about this homemade frittata cavolo is that it smells incredible. And I mean INCREDIBLE !
Ingredients for our frittata cavolo
Cooking this super easy frittata cavolo is …. super easy! You’ll only need a handful of ingredients (and this recipe) to make it happen:
- Bell Pepper
- Mushrooms (white or brown)
- Parmesan or Cheddar Cheese
- Olives (green)
- Herbs – basil + parsley or dill
- Black Pepper
How to cook this super frittata cavolo
The trick to cooking a great frittata cavolo is to see it in terms of different layers. Let me explain what I mean by this:
- The first layer is made of chopped cabbage. This layer goes at the bottom of your dish.
- We add beaten eggs mixed with vegetables and spices on top of the cabbage, this being the second layer.
- And we finish with the third layer, made of parmesan cheese, sliced olives and fresh herbs.
- Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the frittata will develop the most wonderful yellow crust you’ve ever seen. Your kitchen will start smelling amazing around that time.
- DONE. Wasn’t that too easy? Wait until you’ve cook it yourself to see how delicious it is.
How to serve the frittata cavolo
If you ask me, I like serving this amazing Italian dish with freshly baked Danish rye bread (Dansk Rugbrød) or anotther sourdough type of bread. Danish rugbrød is my all-time favorite bread, due to its low gluten content and distinctive special sour taste.
I’ve also included a few pomegranate seeds to balance the overall taste of what is one of the best dishes I’ve EVER cooked.
As for the actual taste, this frittata cavolo has a sweet and spicy taste, with a cheesy salty top. It’s sweet because of the cabbage, spicy due to using black pepper and cheesy because of the grated parmesan that will cook into a delicious and slightly salty crust.
This simple frittata cavolo works great as a ready-made breakfast, lunch or dinner. My absolute favorite way to serve it is hot from the oven!
It’s one of those dishes packed with real food ingredients that will nourish you from the inside out. Absolutely amazing for your gut health too. Did I mention that it smells and tastes awesome? Ahm … yes, I did!
If you make this frittata cavolo, let me know! Leave a comment or take a picture and tag it @refreshmyhealth on Social Media. I’d love to see what you come up with.
Enjoy this delicious Italian frittata and share it with your loved ones! Sharing is caring!
Do you have a favorite frittata recipe? Would you try this one? Share in the comments.
Super Easy Frittata Cavolo
- Heat Resistant Dish
- 3 slices fresh white cabbage (or as much as you need)
- 5-6 medium eggs
- 1/2 bell pepper (chopped)
- white or brown mushrooms (as needed, cubed)
- 5-6 slices leeks (as needed)
- 100 g parmesan or cheddar cheese (grated, or as much as needed)
- 5 green olives (as needed, seedless and sliced)
- 3 leaves fresh basil (chopped)
- fresh parsley or dill (as needed)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- Start by adding chopped cabbage into an oven ready tray (glass or ceramic). Add enough cabbage to cover the whole dish on the bottom and a bit more. You want to have enough of it to create the first layer of your frittata.
- Prepare beaten eggs with salt, spices and vegetables (red peppers, mushrooms and leeks). Make sure to include one of the following herbs: parsley, dill or basil.
- Add everything on top of the cabbage layer. The eggs will soak into the cabbage but the vegetables will remain on top. Don’t worry, you’re doing fine! This was the second layer of your frittata.
- For the top layer, use grated parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese, or a mix of the two.
- Finish this layer by adding green olives, maybe fresh basil (chopped) or a few slices of bell pepper, it’s your choice! Be creative with the toppings but keep it healthy.
- That’s it for the layers! Cook your frittata in the oven for 30-40 min at 150-170 Celsius (so not too high) until the cheese on top has developed a solid yellow-orange crust.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool down for a few minutes. Enjoy fresh or store in the fridge for next day.
- Layer 1: fresh cabbage
- Layer 2: beaten eggs with vegetables and spices
- Layer 3: grated parmesan and finishing spices